Proverbs 22:7

The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Coupon Junkie

I went to a couponing class last night and I learned SO MUCH about how to save alot more money on my groceries and household goods. Apparently, there is a difference between combining coupons, and stacking them. Combining means using 2 manufacturer, store, or competitor coupons at the same time. Stacking, on the other hand is when you have a manufacture coupon in conjunction with a store coupon and possibly even a competitor coupon. Combining is not allowed. Stacking is.

If you wait until items go on sale - especially B1G1, and stack with a manufacturer coupon, store coupon, and competitor coupon at the same time, you may end up getting your item for mere pennies.

Some couponers make a game of trying to flip their bills. This is when you save more than you spend. I had a small shopping trip tonight, but I had my first flip! I bought 4 items: 2 bottles of Aleve ($3.49 each), a bottle of All laundry detergent(6.49) and a bottle of Clorox bleach(2.19). Total Regular Price: $15.66.

I had coupon for $5 off 2 bottles of Aleve. New price, 1.98.
All detergent was on sale for $5.99. I had a $1 off coupon. New price: 4.99
Bleach was free with the purchase of All. New Price: $0.
New Total: $6.97 + tax.
Savings: $8.69.

I could get used to this.

I talked to Jonny, and we're going to clean out the front coat closet and make rooms for more shelf space in there for household and pantry items. The coupon class taught me that the way to save so much money was to buy it with stacked coupons, while they are on sale, and to stock up as much as you can when they are on sale.

Ebay is a good place to find coupons if you're too lazy to look for them yourself. Southernsavers.com is a good site to check out for upcoming coupons that will be available, and what the best way to use those coupons are.

I cant believe I never knew you could stack coupons...and use competitor coupons. Oh my goodness.

New Goal: Cut my Grocery and household budget in half. By doing so, I'll have an extra $200 a month to put to the debt snowball. Lets see if I can make it work :)

No comments: