Proverbs 22:7

The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What's your most expensive hobby? (Past or present)

I saw this topic on a message board recently. We all have hobbies. How much money have you sunk into one, and do you have any regrets?

The easiest one I can think of was my paperback book collection. I read/collected Nora Roberts, VC Andrews, John Grisham, Sidney Sheldon, Christopher Pike, Nicholas Sparks, etc. Libraries, psh, I wanted to own them.  I didn't normally buy the books brand new, I searched used book stores, but it was still a hefty chunk of change.

Yep, own them I did. Where they sat in boxes after I moved from my Marietta apartment in 2007, and sat in boxes in Woodstock, sat in boxes in Columbus, and finally, when we moved into our house in Smiths Station, I pulled them out of the boxes and started listing them online to get rid of them for whatever I could. At first, I wanted to save the books in case my future kids had the same book interests as me. Who was I kidding? VC Andrews, even though I read those in high school, were garbage. Filth that I shouldn't have read, and filth I certainly don't want future kids of mine to read. Nora Roberts was the typical smut novel, but those will always be around. The rest...well, I just didn't have room to set them on a shelf, and I decided it was pointless to keep them in a box.

I've sold quite a few in the last few months, but I'll be taking the rest to a yard sale at the church at the end of the month.

What's been your most expensive hobby?

1 comment:

aec5940 said...

I suppose my most expensive hobby is shared with my husband, and it is our 2 classic Oldsmobiles. Frank does a lot of the work on them to keep the hobby more affordable, but even so, they are gas guzzlers and driving them is a pricy proposition nowadays. Plus, replacement parts are sometimes rare and just expensive. I do not regret it at all - those cars make me feel amazing and powerful and I just love them. And I love sharing a hobby with my husband.