Proverbs 22:7

The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up"

Behold, a post on a message board I frequent.

I am 28 years old, male
married, 3 kids (3, 21 months, 1 month) 
I was active duty military 
now I am in the reserves 
I am full time in seminary (masters level theological education) 
we live off the GI bill, monthly drill pay, and what I make part-time working security about 2,100/month 
I have 2.5 years left of the GI bill, after that I have no idea what I am going to do 
I have never prepared, pursued, or interviewed for a "real job" 
I am interested in real estate 
I have no idea what I will do in 2.5 years


After several questions and responses from other users, we find out that this guy has no desire whatsoever to be a pastor. Mmmkay, so why are you in masters level seminary? His response was

my entering seminary was a condition for me to get out of the Army early 
I am a chaplain candidate in the Army Reserve 
at the completion of my degree I will be qualified to be a US Army Chaplain 
if I do that I would most likely join the Reserves 
I still need a "9-5" 
I have no interest in becoming a "pastor"


My first thought was that this guy, bless his heart, found a way to scam his way out of his military obligation early. But I think there's a hole in his story somewhere, because usually to qualify for those kind of programs, you have to commit to serving a certain amount of time. I mean, I got out of the Navy 3 months early so I could start college in August rather than having to wait until January, but it wasn't on the wings of a special program to make me more valuable to the navy.... it just saved them 3 months worth of giving me a paycheck when my ship was decommissioning and they would have placed me somewhere temporarily anyway.

But besides all of that....I'm really interested in the fact that this guy is living on/using his GIBill to learn a skill trade that he *might* only use 1 weekend a month. That would be fine and good if you could live off the army reserves paycheck you would earn, but last time I checked, a reservist paycheck is only a few hundred bucks, depending on your rank. Why in the world would you fluff around for 2.5 years to learn a trade you have no desire to use, when you could be using that time to learn skills that will help you support your family in the long run?

This is not the first time I've heard of a veteran who didn't use his benefits wisely. Sure, he served, he earned it and can use it how he sees fit, but he's going to be in for a reality shock if he doesn't figure out what he wants to be when he grows up.

No comments: