Proverbs 22:7

The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Clean Eating is Hazardous to my Wallet

So I've been on this Eat Clean kick for 5 months now. In that time, I have completely given up soda, and as of now, I am 5 days Sweet Tea Free. That pains me. I'm a southern girl, and southern girls drink Sweet Tea. But enough is enough and I'm trying to ween myself off of it. Maybe one day I'll be able to have it as a treat and not fall off the wagon.

I've recently become fascinated by a lot of health documentaries. If you haven't seen these, I HIGHLY recommend you check them out.

Food Inc 
Forks Over Knives
Food Matters
Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
Hungry For Change

These movies have changed my life. Oh my goodness. Sugar is "legal" cocaine. High Fructose Corn Syrup, despite what those awful commercials tell you (google" sweet surprise", I don't want to link to it), is AWFUL and you really should not be eating this garbage. Monsanto is evil. And I'm tired of eating food that is mass produced in terrible conditions.

I'm starting to buy mostly organic foods, when possible. I joined a food co-op, Jenny Jack Farm and I'm looking forward to having locally grown produce every week! And I'm supporting the local economy in the process.

While I'm not a vegetarian... yet... I'm working towards that goal. Jonny's digging his heels in, which is fine, he doesn't have to go meatless just because I do... but I think it will help me in the long run if I can eventually work towards this. I can't even remember the last time I had beef. I do still eat alot of chicken and shrimp or fish though.

I'm pretty disgusted by the things those videos showed me about how animals are treated, and how our foods are genetically modified. NO DAMN WONDER I'M FAT. Okay, I mean that very tongue in cheek, but seriously. These videos have shown how these bad awful processed foods are marketed to you, and how you come to rely on, and, for lack of a better term, become addicted to sugar, and other bad for you foods. Even right now, I'm thinking about a cheap box of mac n cheese. The crap where the cheese comes out as a powder and you mix it with milk and butter. I haven't had a box of that since October, but I still think about it, because I LOVED that stuff. I don't buy it anymore. If I have it, I WILL eat it and I don't want to eat it because it's processed garbage.

If you cannot pronounce the ingredients, or it reads like a chemistry book, you shouldn't eat it. Period. Oh yeah, "Fat Free" is a term for added sugar. You'd really be better off eating the fat filled stuff than eating the fat free crap loaded with sugar. And Diet Sodas? Yeah, you might as well be drinking gasoline.

Look, if I'm ticking y'all off, or you're thinking I'm a hippie, nobody ever told you you had to read this. I'm on a mission to fix my FAT ASS. Educating myself is the first step to that. I now feel like it's my duty to buy local, buy organic, buy cage free, grass fed, etc etc. COWS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO EAT CORN. Chickens should not be injected to grow faster and have bigger breasts for breast meat. Just because chemicals work doesn't mean we should participate in this nonsense.

It really makes me mad to know that the normal every day foods that I'm so used to buying are mass produced in bad environments, or they are genetically modified, or have extra garbage added into them to get me addicted to that food product so that I will want it more and more.

It's a conspiracy theory I guess. I guess I'm "one of those" people now. Fine. My wallet is suffering because buying good quality foods are expensive, but it's healthier for me, and I'm not going to give up. One of those videos has a family who says it's easier and cheaper to go to Taco Bell and order off the value menu than it is to buy produce and other high quality foods. Sad part is, they are right. What is WRONG with this picture?

I'm not a "crazy activist" but I can certainly do my part by buying good quality food, and by not supporting the bad treatment of animals, or buying processed garbage that make these food producers filthy rich while they are just making the rest of our bodies filthy disgusting and unhealthy.

Watch the videos. Then come chat with me.


No comments: